I probably will catch flak from all over the internet for this, but I feel the need to throw myself under the bus anyway. Who doesn’t need a good, self-imposed, beat down every now and then?
Today’s post: an unpopular opinion.
I didn’t like Disney’s “The Mandalorian” all that much.
I put off watching the show because I am a Star Wars fan. I wouldn’t call myself a super-fan, but it pretty much has been a thing all my life, so there’s that. I have introduced my children (and others) to the saga and they all love it too. So, I do appreciate the story more than others, I am sure of that.
Now that the Star Wars saga “is over,” at least as I know it, I was kind of looking forward to seeing how Disney was going to move forward with it but also not real excited about it either. I realize it is a cash cow, a “force” if you will, so they aren’t going to just let it end (or die) with Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
I won’t spend a bunch of time reviewing the show and I won’t spend a bunch of time spoiling it for others who might not have seen it (I watched and finished it last week).
But here is my take:
- Baby Yoda is cute. Maybe, just maybe, the only redeeming factor of the show.
- The acting isn’t great. It isn’t horrible, but it definitely could be improved.
- The special effects, as always, are really good.
- The story isn’t all that compelling. It’s actually kind of boring. I didn’t find myself wanting to binge watch and get all eight episodes done in one sitting.
- The episodes themselves are kinda short. Not much story telling crammed into those little things.
- The artwork (story boards, maybe?) in the credits of the show is almost better than the show.
- It felt as though they were trying to force (no pun intended) us to care about the characters, which I didn’t think they achieved.
- Carl Weathers brought the cheese factor to a new level.
- Nick Nolte’s character should have been used more and more developed.
There are probably other things that bothered me about the show, but I can’t think of them right now.
I don’t know. It just didn’t settle with me. Maybe season two will be better?